Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Pipe of the day, II

The pipe of the day is my favorite, Savinelli churchwarden.

This blog-entry is dedicated to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930 CE), who's birthday was yesterday. Sir Doyle created one of the most famous fictitious pipe-smokers, Sherlock Holmes. For more on the subject, see my friend Ensio Kataja's blog.

Sherlock Holmes did smoke churchwarden and so did another famous and fictitious character - Gandalf (or at least they both have smoked churchwarden in movies or episodes about them). I guess it is quite needless to state the common knowledge that also the creator of the old wizard and the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy, J.R.R. Tolkien, was a pipe-smoker too.
I have been thinking about reading the Ring trilogy this summmer. I might end up with the book and my churchwarden under some old tree in Ruissalo or in the Turku castle surroundings during the next month. Want to read the book too and to share the reading experience here in the blog? Be prepared. This blog might turn very Tolkien the next month.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! It will be fun to peek what you get out of LotR. My advice would be to start from the Hobbit, though. It's easy reading and pretty good although not nearly as great as the Epic itself, but most importantly it gives valuable background to the events and characters of the trilogy. Sort of a prologue.

1:04 pm  
Blogger Tapio Kotkavuori said...

Dear Anonymous,

thanks for the hint. I have thought of that myself too. Unfortunately my time does not allow me to read _The Hobbit_ before the next month, and I am kind of hungry for the trilogy already. So I guess I'll just bite it right away and read _the Hobbit_ later.

2:34 pm  
Blogger Apotropos said...

I agree with the comment about the Hobbit being a prologue, although for me the Hobbit was the slowest of the series. I would actually love to see someone do a ramble on the Silmarillion which has such a wealth of material for the spiritually minded and of the Northern Tradition. There's a lot to feed from there, in my opinion.

I like the pipe! "This is not a pipe!"

X&R,

Chris

http://apotropos.blogspot.com

9:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home