Sunday, April 09, 2006

Animal rights, II

I taught animal rights to some ninth graders last Friday. I based those two hours pretty much on Peter Singer’s classic Animal Liberation, although a good amount of information kindly provided by Animalia was in my use as well. Somehow I maganed to jam a song called Huipulla by Keuhkot into the palette as a motivating element. There was plenty of good discussion dealing with various forms of speciesism. I am quite sure the next time some of those students grasp a milk carton they might remember the contradiction between the happy cow drawing in the carton and the reality behind the product.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parhautta!

Keuhkot, one just can't live without
them. It's really good that you teach
most vital parts of the Finnish
culture in your classes. :-)

11:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your entry and following the links, (becoming horrified by what they do to pigs), I decided to research some more. It is awful what they are doing:

http://www.factoryfarming.com/index.htm

So I'm slowing getting educated, yes, 'waking' up. Thanks for educating us.

4:13 am  
Blogger Tapio Kotkavuori said...

Korpinsilmä - thanks for your thoughts. Be sure to check out Kake's latest CD, "Toimintatapoja Eliöille". I can't think better CD's coming out from this country very easily... It is masterful, as all of Kake's earlier creations too. Manifestations of pure genius with a message, for sure!

Joan - thank you. I am glad if I have been a drop in the ocean in exposing what the meat-industry is universally all about.

6:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home