Wednesday, February 15, 2006

In honor of Pan

If I smoke, I smoke pipe. It's healthier, more stylish and meditative, plus in numerous variations better smelling and tasting than any cigarette you can find. I never found smoking interesting for any reason – until my good friend from Stuttgart introduced me to pipes.
Aleister Crowley, Carl Jung, Ensio Kataja, J.R.R. Tolkien, Roland Winkhart, Ian Read, and Albert Einstein are among some great pipe smoker names I honor in raising Peterson’s Killarney # 150 with some Amphora here.
I hated tobacco. I could have almost lent my support to any institution that had for its object the putting of tobacco smokers to death... I now feel that smoking in moderation is a comfortable and laudable practice, and is productive of good. There is no more harm in a pipe than in a cup of tea. You may poison yourself by drinking too much green tea, and kill yourself by eating too many beefsteaks. For my part, I consider that tobacco, in moderation, is a sweetener and equalizer of the temper.
-Thomas Henry Huxley
Keep the hellfires burning!
- Roland Winkhart while lighting his pipe
I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs
-Albert Einstein
Devil or god, to me, to me / my man! my man! / Come with trumpets sounding shrill / over the hill! / Come with drums low muttering / from the spring! / Come with flute and come with pipe! / am I not ripe?
- Aleister Crowley in Hymn to Pan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Come with flute and come with pipe!" -- Are you sure Uncle Al didn't mean the musical instrument there? ;)

3:06 am  
Blogger Tapio Kotkavuori said...

Dear Karin,

considering Pan it is most likely that Uncle Al did mean the musical instrument. I decided to take a freedom to read the word the way I wanted, nevertheless :-) And when it comes to this interpretation of the word, I think it would not surprise me if Al had thought of the pipe as a smoking pipe here too :-) But then, after reading his glossary for things in his _Snowdrops from the Curate's Garden_, I am not sure if Uncle Al meant with "pipe" something completely different altogether... :-)

1:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home