Tuesday, January 24, 2006

For the New Year

I am still living, I am still thinking: I have to go on living because I have to go on thinking. [...] Today everyone is permitted to express his desire and dearest thoughts: so I, too, would like to say that I have desired of myself today and what thought was the first to cross my heart this year - what thought shall be the basis, guarantee and sweetness of all my future life! I want to learn more and more to see what is necessary in things as the beautiful in them - thus I shall become one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: may that be my love from now on! I want to wage no war against the ugly. I do not want to accuse, I do not want even to accuse the accusers. May looking away be my only form of negation! And, all in all: I want to be at all times hereafter only an affirmer!
- Friedrich Nietzsche, On the Genealogy of Morals

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home